If you’ve ever stumbled upon a new workout trend, trainer or a groundbreaking supplement while scrolling through your social media feed, you’re not alone. As beginners and professionals alike, the current state of our industry serves us a platter of fitness information, and distinguishing the good from the bad can be overwhelming. Don’t sweat it, here’s a guide to help you navigate the flashy world of fitness trends and get back to basics, ensuring you’re making the most informed choices.
When Fitness Gets “Sexy”
Now, don’t get me wrong. The online fitness community is full with creativity. Platforms like Instagram or TikTok have given rise to exercises that make our workouts look more like acrobatic performances. The question is, do we really need these in our routines?
Let’s break it down. While it’s tempting to incorporate that shiny new product or the most viral exercise into our workouts, what most people need is foundational. Proper movement, consistent exercise, proper nutrition and a focus on the basics. Why? Because the principles of biomechanics remain unchanged, some of which have been in the academic field for centuries.
You might’ve heard the saying, “It’s not sexy, but it works.” That holds especially true for fitness. Most of us don’t need a revolutionary way to squat or an new push-up variation. We just need to squat and push up CONSISTENTLY. The same applies to nutrition.
Trendy vs. Trustworthy
Fitness trends can be enticing, especially for beginners. They provide structure, an outline, and a starting point. However, diving in headfirst without adequate research might lead to potential pitfalls.
- Structured Guidance: For someone starting, following a structured trend might provide clarity.
- Motivation Boost: The novelty of a trend can be invigorating, pushing individuals to stick to their routine.
- Possibility of Misinformation: Not every online fitness influencer understands basic biomechanics, workout structure or has your best interests at heart.
- Overemphasis on Novelty: Instead of focusing on consistency, there might be a push to always try the next big thing.
The key is to approach fitness trends as a buffet. Sample them, but always return to your nutrition and exercise basics. Do your research, especially if you’re drawn to a specific fitness form. Ensure that the guidance you’re receiving aligns with established knowledge and practices.
How To Find Reliable Fitness Information
- Check Credentials: Always look for professionals who have a background in the area of fitness you’re pursuing.
- Look for References: Any claim should be backed by evidence, preferably from peer-reviewed studies.
- Avoid Extreme Promises: If something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
- Stay Updated: Like any other field, fitness evolves. Stay updated with recent studies and findings.
Remember, the world of fitness is vast, and while trends come and go, the basics remain evergreen. If you’re feeling lost in the information or are unsure about the next step in your fitness journey, don’t hesitate. Schedule a no sweat intro (NSI) with us. Take a tour, chat with a coach, and see how we can tailor the best plan for you. Book Now.
To sum it up, the fitness industry, especially online, is a vast landscape. While it’s crucial to stay informed and open to new ideas, the emphasis should always be on consistency, proper guidance, and getting back to basics. With a coaches eye and an emphasis on your goals, we can help you along your path.